Tuesday, July 2, 2013

If you don't use it, you'll lose it.

I am so serious about this.  This is in context (well, kinda) to photography.  I love photography.  It is a passion of mine.  I am not a professional by any means, but it is something I love to do.  A couple months ago, I made a deal with Colby's sister, Jenny, that if she would monogram some bridesmaids' gifts then I would take some pictures of her family.



In the midst of finals, moving out, and wedding planning, I put that photo shoot in the back on my mind.  I thought to myself, "I done several sessions, I'll be fine."  I looked up some different poses as I was taking my breaks or when I got bored.  But I never really researched it, practiced or challenged myself to improve before the session.  I haven't shot a session in a couple of months, I have never shot a family session, and I most certainly have never shot a session with two 18 month-olds.  If you don't use your skills often or challenge your skills often, you'll lose it.  I promise you.



I got a few good shots, but for the most part I was so disappointed in myself.  More than half of the pictures I took had three clear humans and then one blurry human or vice versa.  I didn't research settings I could use, I didn't adjust my settings much at the actual shoot.  I was so disappointed in myself.  I was distracted with a world of other things and I didn't pour my heart and soul into the task at hand.


But what I learned most from this experience was that I was not loving my neighbor as myself.  I put my needs and wants above Jenny and her family.  I put my selfish heart before Jenny, Jordan, Crews & Tate.  Putting others before yourself is something you have to practice!  I'm serious! It does not come by nature because our natural instinct is sinful.  So as a result, when we don't practice dying to ourselves and putting others before ourselves, our sinful nature reveals itself and we begin to walk in darkness again.  And I did just that.  I lost the opportunity to truly spread the gospel through action.


The introduction to 2 John says this: Therefore, all who claim loyalty to Him must be committed to these ideals: following the truth, living the truth, reflecting love and acting with love towards one another.  My eyes have been widened and I now understand why my photo shoot didn't end the way it should have.  I really don't even know why I felt led to tell ya'll this.  Maybe accountability?  I don't know.  But what I do know is that "if we freely admit that we have sinned, we find God utterly reliable and straightforward—he forgives our sins and makes us thoroughly clean from all that is evil." (1 John 1:9)  I've learned from my mistake.  I am walking in the light again, completely ready for another opportunity to spread the gospel through photography.



2 comments:

  1. friend, you are being too hard on yourself. thank you for capturing this stage of our lives! 18 month olds are hard. especially when there are two of them...that are cranky and hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pacifiers and the Ya Ya's....glad you captured that!! Sweet sweet family pics!!! Breath deep and carry on....tomorrow is a new day! I loved the pics!

    ReplyDelete